Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Photos from Arequipa

Arequipa, though a good one, is a city nonetheless... meaning i barely function in it, and certainly have no photographic inspiration whatsoever.

i've said this in my past 947 updates, actually, but i don't know when i'll get the chance to update again, so i figured i'd get a few pictures up...

Perhaps the next time i put pictures up everything will be better--perhaps the pictures will be more inspired, perhaps the accompanying text will be more worthwhile... but for tonight i'm tired, i'm looking forward to taking advantage of the hot shower that getting stranded in the city acquired for me (at the cost of a hotel room), and i'm a little bit underinspired by that classy thing called the city life. It's not my favorite thing ever... so hopefully nobody will hate me for the below-average quality of my first batch of pictures.



Merely the view from just outside my hotel room. The keen observer may note that Picchu Picchu looks on in the upper left... while the less keen observer would probably still note typical unadorned and often unfinished Peruvian brick walls receding at chaotic diagonals from the blue of my hotel. Bright colors on unfinished neutrals tend to be the norm in this country, i have found.



Hardly poisoning... this boy was feeding pigeons in the park. i really should have done better with my pigeon pictures... but although i wasn't quite feeling it (at all), i thought i'd stick at least one in here.



Mountain light as the sun falls ever closer to one of the three towering volcanoes that brace the town. It streams down a side street. Anonymous walkers, romantic ideals, a flag glowing translucent, a town waking up for sunset.



And night falls a little bit more. Anonymous people, anonymous cars. Even the friendliest of cities is, ultimately, anonymous, it feels. Perhaps the bus will make it to Aplao tomorrow. Perhaps with it some of the fire will return.

i know not when another update shall come, my friends. Do enjoy your weekends.

6 comments:

beersville said...

Sam, I was wondering if any of the pigeons were fed hallucinagen. It reminded me of my pigeons and how I shooed them away. I like the pigeon pic and the bricks and blue pic.

KK said...

Praying friend.

coco said...

Dear Sam,

It's great to see you arrived safely. Your pics and comments are always well worth reading:) God speed on your journey. Aunt Deb

christy said...

we are missing you tonight friend. know we are praying-

dont forget the man of peace ;) wherever you are.

and,
for pics you dont like, i think they are rather great.

PJ's Blank Blog said...

Don't worry good friend. For now, the shots are adequate, (though adequate shots are never adequate...) but I'm sure you'll feel more photos when you feel more attached to your trip. As of now, you seem disattached, and until you feel a bit at home, your shots won't reflect your desires....I don't know just a thought. Just keep you're head up, and feet on the ground:-D

praying for you

FiveIronFlip said...

The street image seems to have some kind of vignetting I enjoy, but perhaps it is just a shadow from a building.
And as for the pigeon... well, you know how I feel about small animals. And children inquisitively looking at the photographer.